Thursday, June 12, 2014

Text Set #2 -Fireflies

                                                  Fireflies Text Set
                                             Or as we call it in Tennessee... Lightning Bugs      
     I chose another text set that I plan on using this summer with my kindergarten kids in summer school. There's just something magical and exciting about seeing the first lightening bug of the summer!  I remember catching lightening bugs as a kid and my students love learning about these insects. I plan on reading  some fiction and non-fiction books while integrating informational writing.
     So start saving your plastic sprite bottles and be sure to end your firefly study with the last craft! Kids eyes will light up when you turn off the lights in your classroom.
                                                                      

                                    Books



Leo the Lightning Bug
Ages 5-7
Leo the Lightning Bug Kids will identify with Leo and grasp the importance of believing in themselves as they follow Leo's adventure to make his own light. 



Lightning Bug Thunder 

by Katie Burke (Author), Sheila McGraw 

Ages: 4-7
Three little girls with a lightning bug in a jar make magic when their town suffers from a long dry spell.



The Very Lonely Firefly by Eric Carle
Ages:5-7
One night a lonely firefly goes off in search of friends. He follows every flicker of light he sees, only to find the lights are only lanterns, owls' eyes, or headlights — not companions. Young students will relate to the lonely firefly's search for friends like himself and will rejoice when he finds his niche, a whole group of fireflies literally blinking all over the page.After reading this book, I would like to do some informational writing on fireflies.   I thought this was a good way to make a story map of the book and discuss labeling.
       

                                          http://www.pinterest.com/pin/101542166571155094/


 
                                           Various anchor charts to 
           help with informational writing  
                   
                                                                         





Fireflies in the Night

by Judy Hawes 

Ages: 5-7
                                                       



                                  Videos
                                                             Synchronized Fireflies in Elkmont
This is something I really want to do next year with my kids!  
Each year, in early June, these fireflies synchronize their flashing lights as part of their mating ritual.  Elkmont is one of the only places in the United States to see the synchronous fireflies making it an incredibly special event that very few people get to witness!  This site provides information on how to get to Elkmont during the event along with photos and synchronous fireflies videos.  Students love watching these videos.  
http://www.gatlinburgtnguide.com/events/synchronous-fireflies-elkmont-great-smoky-mountains/

                           Other Activities

Kids love bandaids....I thought this was cute and they could do a writing topic underneath.
http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2009/07/not-just-for-booboos.html


Kids love glow sticks too!  We actually made these at my daughter's 5th birthday party.  She wanted an insect birthday party and that's what she got.  Kids thought it was magic and parents said they slept with them!  I also made these with my 1st graders after our insect unit.  
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/160863017915185949/

1 comment:

  1. I love this text set because I also like catching fireflies (lightning bugs) in the summer as a kid and now with my daughter. I have done the firefly craft at the end of your text set with my summer camp students a few years ago and they loved it as much as I did. And they were 3rd through 5th graders. I want to go to Elkmont and see the synchronous fireflies. I think that would be amazing to experience. Eric Carle is one of my favorite authors and I use The Very Lonely Firefly as a read aloud to discuss the character trait lonely of the firefly in the story. Great text set!

    ReplyDelete