Thursday, June 5, 2014

Text Set #1-Sharks

I chose a text set that I could use with my Kindergarten students in summer school. 

Books

Sharks! (National Geographic Kids)
by Anne Schreiber
Ages 7-8
I use this book in my writer’s workshop when I teach about informational writing.  It’s a good mentor text with lots of text features.  Kids not only learn about sharks, but learn about diagrams, bold words, definition boxes, and much more.  A lot of fun facts about sharks and cool photos!


Sharks!
by Adrienne Betz
Ages 6-10
In SHARKS , TIME For Kids(R) takes you under the seas to discover the exciting world of these super fish.






I Am a Shark: The Life of a Hammerhead Shark
by Darlene R. Stille
Ages: 4-8 years old
I thought this would be a good fiction story to read with a lot of facts.  Students can learn how hammerhead sharks live in the ocean, meet their friends, and see their natural habitat.





The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark
by Ken Geist, Julia Gorton (Illustrator), Will Grace
Age 5-7
A hilarious retelling of THE THREE LITTLE PIGS, with foil on the cover!





"Little fish, little fish, let me come in."
"Not by the skin of my finny fin fin!"
"Then I'll munch, and I'll crunch, and I'll smash your house in!"

Mama tells her three little fish that it's time to make their own homes. Jim builds his house of seaweed, but the big bad shark munches it up. Tim builds his house of sand, but the shark crunches it up. It's smart Kim who sets up house in an old sunken ship!

I think children would love this silly story with funny, eye-popping illustrations.

Video
I chose this site because you can never go wrong with National Geographic.  A great sight to watch cool videos about sharks. 

This site offers various games and videos about different sharks.


Activities

Writing Activity
This site shows how a kindergarten teacher had her students write a book report.  I really like how it’s organized and thought I may do this with my kids next year for them to take to the Young Author’s Conference. 

Word Study Activity
Activities and suggestions for students learn about constant digraph sh with a shark theme.


Edible Shark Aquarium
I’ve done this activity at the end of an Ocean habitat study and the kids absolutely loved it!  They still remember eating the ‘ocean habitat.’


Art Activity:
After a read-aloud on sharks I think this would be a good a good art activity.



2 comments:

  1. This is such a cute text set! I really like The Three Little Fish book and the edible shark aquarium. Not going to lie, I totally plan on stealing some of these ideas :)
    Have you heard of the book Clark the Shark? It's a really cute book that I found last time I was at the Scholastic book fair. Its about a shark, Clark, who looooooves school but sometimes he gets too excited and ends up making mistakes. He ends up learning to "keep it cool" and the importance of self control. Even though this isn't really about sharks, a shark is the main character and it's a really cute story.
    I also recently found that Fly Guy has a nonfiction series and there is one about sharks in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista, this text set is great! Those kindergarteners are going to love learning about sharks this summer. The Time for Kids magazines are great. I love using them in my classroom. I have never read the book The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark. It sounds so cute! I want it for myself! I can't wait to hear how this unit goes. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete