Monday, June 2, 2014

Bauerlein and Howe Talk


texting : A young woman  is on the cell phone textign and driving with a road in the windshield for an danger or distracted driving concept

     Bauerlein brought out that in spite of more advantages and opportunities children have today, that studies show that their is a decline in their intellectual habits. He states that because of the digital age, intellectual habits with kids are deteriorating  "like an avalanche."  Young kids have meshed their lives with the digital age and the digital tools are used mainly for social networking.  He claims this is causing a generation of kids who only care about themselves.  They can build communities with friends but can't stand up against a group nor can they present information to a group.  These Milleniums don't like to debate or disagree with the group because they are fear of what the group will think.   I do agree with him that most digital tools that kids use today are for social networking.  Some kids and adults are so obsessed with twitter, facebook, instagram, etc. that they can't put their phone down to eat or have a conversation.  I have been in the car with teen-agers and there would be complete silence because everybody checking their facebook. I want to hear conversations and laughter.  I think with all the technology that's out there today it's creating a generation that lacks creativity. I agree with Sterg in that we don't know the effects all the social networking will have on our kids.

     Bauerlein  also points out that there is a huge shift in the amount of hours kids are spending in leisurely reading from 1982 to 2002. Both Howe and Bauerlein agree that kids are not reading enough and much of that is due to kids having  bedrooms that are now a "multi-media room." Many kids have extra-curricular activities that take up much of their free time.    Howe urges parents to institute reading time in the home and put away all the technology and to make reading a priority.

     I don't feel like the Milleniums are less intelligent.  I feel like they are losing creativity and worry we are creating a generation who are obsessed with what their peers are doing. I fear that texting and instagram type networks have deteriorated children's abilities to notice patterns in words and they cannot spell well. It is also a fear that the poverty students will be affected by this more than students from middle and upper class. The poverty students have i-phones and technology, but they tend to not have parents who stress reading nor purchase books for them to read. Where are our priorities?????

     I chose this picture because I was at a red-light the other day and almost every car that drove by had a driver texting or using their phone.  I have been guilty of this also.  We have become a society that feels we have to check our phones every couple of minutes. It's like an addiction and then we wonder why kids aren't reading more books during their leisurely time.  I don't think it makes kids dumber to have all the technologies but I do feel that parents have to monitor because all the social networking can get out of hand.

   

4 comments:

  1. I think that what is funny about texting is that kids aren't the only ones that are in social situations staring at their phone. I know marriages where both people spend their evening on the computer or phones while sitting next to each other watching tv. Is that where we are going? Makes you kind of think about things. I think technology is great, but you definitely have to monitor your time and your kids time using technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that spell check technology can be decreasing students abilities to notice spelling patters. I feel the same about the use of calculators. Students are allowed to use calculators now more than ever, and at younger grade levels. I suppose a flip side to this could be that these students will most likely always have these tools available, however, I worry students are not learning the fundamentals as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your reflection above, social networking has made a huge impact in this generation. I was born in 1983 and man have I seen technology change as the years have gone by. You are right-They can build communities with friends but can't stand up against a group nor can they present information to a group. I have that same feeling when in a debate but as I have furthered my education and career, I am able to stand for things I am passionate about. Technology has made so many things be right at our fingertips that this generation does not have to think about things they are learning as much as past generations. Just google it! Social interaction (face to face) is almost nonexistent anymore. Parents and kids do not communicate today like they did 10 years ago (I will just text/call them from my room). And I agree, you stop for a minute and look around and you do see the majority on their cell phone, Ipad, laptop, etc., connecting to someone electronically not personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that technology, specifically social media, is bound to have negative consequences on not only the Millennials, but our society as a whole. I am concerned that students are becoming even less engaged in school because they are becoming accustomed to instant engagement outside of school. There is almost no such thing as being bored now with the internet constantly available at your fingertips. It is difficult to compete with, even with the technology we have available to us in our classroom.

    ReplyDelete