Sunday, June 22, 2014

Reflection #8 KLCh 7 Blogging





Just a funny cartoon that made me laugh.

     This chapter discussed blogging as one of ICTs and how it identities can be “produced”  and “blurred” when blogging.  Blogging is an online journal that you can regularly update brief postings without having to feel “constrained by the writing games you have to play as academics,” as Guy stated.  Guy and Mortensen say that blogging is appealing because they can write ‘outside of the boundaries’ and not worry about all the editorial changes, spelling, and grammar.  I think that’s what holds many of us back in writing…worrying about grammatical errors, punctuation, spelling, etc. 
     The chapter discussed how blogging could produce identity.  Julia states that, “In writing about myself, I am somehow writing myself. I am the subject and the object of the work.”  She will sometimes do stuff so she can blog about it.  It influences her life,  not just a recording of it.  She becomes DrJoolz and it made me think how many people do the same thing, as they are blogging. 
     Identities can also become blurred as texts intertwine and merge.  Boundaries between bloggers can blur from affinity space to real space, as in the case with Julia.  She posted her cake photographs and linked to other academic bloggers.  They met and allowed the boundaries between bloggers to blur with personal life.
     Blogging has been a big part of many of our college classes.  I don’t know how I could integrate blogging into my kindergarten classroom. I can see how it can, and has, helped me professionally by collaborating, sharing, discussing, debating like topics on teaching. 


3 comments:

  1. I think it is kind of neat to be able to blur personal and professional space in the cyber world. I agree writing can be tedious when a major concentration is on grammar and spelling and technical aspects of writing. To be able to be yourself and share yourself with the world is a positive change in the new world of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista, you did a really great job summarizing this lengthy chapter. I agree with you that sometimes grammar and syntax can hold us back from writing, I'm sure students even in the emergent stages of writing feel the same way. I am not exactly sure how you could incorporate blogging into your kindergarten classroom though. Perhaps even if it isn't exactly "blogging" you could follow the informal post your feelings about something scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weather is a great thing to really get into at that age. I taught 6th grade science last year and that was the most difficult unit for the kids to understand. At the 6th grade level, they really get into it deeper. You have lots of great resources and videos which are awesome. With weather, they are very visual.

    ReplyDelete