Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Technology Review #2




     I could not find an image that I wanted.  However, this book kept popping up about literature circles and I thought it might be a good book for teachers starting book clubs.  

     I took a look at the website Kid’s Blog and would like to try it this coming year and next summer. I have several reasons for wanting to use this site. Dr. Allington presented research where they let the upper group of students meet in literature circles three or four days per week. The other one to two days the students were with the teacher in small groups. I think that integrating kid’s blog into the literature circles would add an accountability piece and keep kids motivated to read and discuss from home. 
Another reason I want to use the website is to integrate it with our summer reading program. We are planning to give students free books at the end of summer. I think that having an outlet for students to discuss their books will be motivating for students over the summer. They can blog even if they are on vacation……some will not, but some may find that it is cool to blog from their place of vacation. The blogging should help with writing skills over the summer months as well. The website even offers a way for students to be able to twitter about their readings!

Kid’s blog has a reputation of being safe for students. Teachers give it high ratings and the teacher is in control of the students who can enter the blog. I feel that integrating technology with reading and discussions of reading will help motivate some students to read more during the summer months.

2 comments:

  1. Krista,
    This sounds like something that we could use at school especially with fourth and fifth grade students. They are responsible enough to log on independently and blog away. I would be intriguing for them to blog with students outside of their class as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this website would be a great way for students to discusses books they read like literature circles but with an online twist. I agree that integrating kid’s blog into the literature circles would add an accountability piece and keep kids motivated to read and discuss from home.

    ReplyDelete